Sutton Forest Explorers Memorial Monument
Sutton Forest Inn, 7390 Illawarra Highway, Sutton Forest – P 02 4868 1697
Front Inscription: ‘Shire of Wingecarribee – The first official party of British explorers passed through this District on 20 March 1798 – Erected by the Council of the Shire of Wingecarribee – Unveiled by S.J. Bryce Beard Esq, MBE, on 20 March 1948 – C.J. Ross Shire President.’
The monument which is made of Bowral Trachyte on a brick base and bears a bronze plate, commemorates the first official party of British explorers who passed through the district in 1798. It was unveiled by S.J. Bryce Beard Esq. MBE, on the 150th anniversary on 2 April 1948.
The monument currently sits out the front of the Sutton Forest Inn.